The History of the Immaculate Conception BVM Parish
The Parish of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary was established by His Excellency, Edmond Prendergast, the Archbishop of Philadelphia in 1915. The E. & G. Land Company agreed to provide a building (a former dance hall on West Main Street) for our use free of charge as long as it was used as a church. Father Victor Strumia was the first pastor. About 50 families made up the parish when the first Mass was celebrated on Christmas Day 1915. By spring of 1916, a permanent altar was installed and Holy Mass was celebrated.
In the 1920's the building that was being used as the church was enlarged with the parishioners doing most of the work.
The pastors from the beginning of the parish lived with the Daniel K. Flannery family until a rec tory was built in 1926.
After a major fund drive for a new church, ground was broken 18 November 1951. Construction was slow, due to materials being rationed during the Korean War. The first Mass in the new church was celebrated in February 1953. The old church reverted to the Land Company, which had it demolished and now uses the space as a parking lot.
Around 1960, the "white" house was purchased at the corner of Spruce and Main Streets. It was used for meetings and CCD classes for the next 20 years.
As the parish grew it became apparent more space was needed for meetings and classes and it was decided to add a parish center on to the existing church located on Main Street. Groundbreaking was held on 24 June 1979, and dedication of the complete building was held on 7 December 1980.
In 1998 the parish had increased to almost 1300 families and was quickly outgrowing the parish complex which served the parish so well since 1953.
It was determined that a new home for the parish was needed and in 2001 a 60 acre site just south of Birdsboro was selected.
Groundbreaking at the new location was held on 28 September 2002. The new parish church, which can accommodate up to 900 persons, was consecrated on 17 December 2003. The parish school, Immaculate Conception Academy, opened its doors for the first time in September 2003.
From the humble beginnings of 50 families worshiping God in a dance hall, the parish now boasts of over 1400 families and a glorious church to sing the praises and glory of Almighty God. Praise be to Him through the intercession of our Blessed Lady, the Immaculate Conception!